My Dog Fibi

My Dog FibiMy dog Fibi is one-year-old and we think she is a Kelpie cross (we’re not sure). We bought Fibi in August last year and she was a rescue dog from the RSPCA. When we bought her she was very timid and scared of almost anything, she would not go near anyone new, she was terrified of the hose and lots more. Since then, Fibi has almost fully recovered but she still has a couple of certain things she’s terrified of. Fibi is now an amazing dog and we all love her and here are some of the reasons why.

Fibi is dumb, but in a good way, she still doesn’t know how to play fetch, doesn’t listen to other dogs when they’re angry and doesn’t understand when other dogs are smelling her butt. Although she can be very stupid, she’s generally a keen and determined dog.

My dog Fibi loves to stand up on her back legs. Whenever you come to greet her in the morning she will approach you with a small, quiet, excited whine and jump up on your chest to stretch her legs. If you ever play tug of war with Fibi, there is no place you can keep the rope away from her. Fibi can stand on her back legs for sometimes longer than 5 seconds, while still managing a large jump to reach the rope that I hold above my head.

Although Fibi is a dumb dog, she has hypnotic powers. Fibi can read minds, especially when you come out to take her for a walk, she instantly bolts around the yard with excitement. She can tell if you‘re awake or not, sometimes I wake up and just at the same time I hear her run around to my window and start whining for me to come and pat her. Fibi is either hypnotic or just really convincing. Whether she’s harassing us for a walk or whining for attention, the dog always gets her way.

Fibi is an amazing digger, whenever we take her for a walk down at the beach the first thing she does is stomps her two front feet into the sand and digs her heart out. When Fibi is digging, look out, you’ll have a small chance of escaping the massive heaps of sand she chucks out between her two back legs. She will dig a hole that is a metre wide and half a metre deep in a matter of minutes.  Also, Fibi has smart positioning of her holes, she either digs right next to where you’re sitting and sprays sand in your face, or she’ll dig a hole right where you don’t see it and make you trip. This kind of behaviour makes you love her even more.

When Fibi gets excited in the back yard, she runs around like crazy. Through the bushes, around the chicken pen, past the lemon trees, turn around, bolt back under the clothes line and try to dive at you from five metres away. It is hilarious to watch and once you see it you can’t back away.

Fibi absolutely loves the beach and any type of water (apart from hoses and waves). Whenever we take her to the beach she either has her head in the sand or she’s swimming laps. Fibi is an incredibly fast swimmer, she can almost swim as fast as I can. But it is hilarious to swim beside her because she doesn’t use her back legs when she’s swimming, she mainly uses her front legs and lets out an almighty puff every few seconds without breathing in-between them.

Fibi is a lovely dog and is hard to come by without giving her a big pat. She is amazing, huggable, loveable, everything and more of a dog that we could ever ask for. Thank you Fibi for making every day of my life (since we bought you) exciting, fun and for putting a smile on my face every time I see you.

See how she spays the sand behind her.
See how she spays the sand behind her.

2 thoughts on “My Dog Fibi

1. Oh what a beautiful post! It brought tears to my eyes!
    We once had a very special dog too. Her name was Kiwi and she was a Belgian Shepherd. She was almost human and brought us so much joy. We really miss her.
    Thank you Tom. Your photos are a terrific addition!