When Zeke Came To Stay

The first week of my school holidays was packed with activity. The town was full with tourists, but it didn’t bother me because one of them was my best friend.

On Friday the 8th of April, the last day of school, Mum was coming back from Perth and was bringing my best friend Zeke up for a visit. Zeke and I have been friends since kindergarten and have recently started a new tradition where each school holidays one of us will spend a week at the other’s house. Last school holidays I went to Zeke’s house so this time he came to mine.

On the first day, Zeke and I spent all day at the beach. In the morning we went snorkelling at blue holes and after lunch we went down to Jaques for body boarding. That night we went to the pub for dinner, Zeke and I both chose chicken parmigiana with chips. I ended up eating a parmigiana and a half because Zeke couldn’t finish his. By the time we went to bed we were still really energetic and stayed up late just talking and catching up with what each other had been doing lately.

On the days that it was cloudy, rainy and too cold to swim, we spent our time playing video games, watching movies, making funny videos, playing with Lego and making Lego stop motion videos. Unfortunately the stop motion app didn’t work properly and we lost the video. At least it was fun making it.

On the fourth day, Zeke and I didn’t really do anything until 1 o’clock when Dad got back from work. Dad took us up river on the boat for a skurf, or you could call it a skoogie board. Skurfing is when you tie a boogie board to a rope tied to the back of the boat. It was Zeke’s first time skurfing and at first he was really worried but after a while he was having more fun than I was. Zeke was flying across the water and even catching air when he wizzed over the wake. The fun ended when the rope broke and our hands and knees were too sore to continue.

On the fifth day, Wednesday the 13th of April, the clouds were gone and Zeke and I were back at the beach. In the morning we went to Jaques for a swim but ended up with frozen chests and chattering teeth. We then went to the bakery for a donut after lunch and Zeke bought a really cool sculpted dragon from Carolanda gift shop. I decided I would get one for myself and add it to my collection. In the afternoon, my Nan (Mum’s mum) came to stay overnight on her trip to Carnarvon. She brought lots of oranges and lemons that had come off her tree in Perth. We then went to the beach again with Nan before going to Paradiso’s outdoor cinema to watch Kung Foo Panda 3. When we arrived home we stayed up late again talking ourselves to sleep.

The next day Zeke left. We got up early to take him to the bus. Zeke was really nervous because it was the first time he had ever been on a bus on his own. But I can’t blame him because I have always been too scared to go on it myself. When Zeke had left I felt a shock of boredom, I was no longer always doing something and I realized how tired I was. When he left I spent the next few days at home because I was too tired to do anything else. Next holidays I suppose it will be my turn to go on the bus to see him. That’s the only thing I won’t be looking forward to.

2 thoughts on “When Zeke Came To Stay

1. What a great opening paragraph Tom! I was hooked right away.
    Your post was full of energy and I almost felt like I was enjoying the holiday with you.
    Great writing. Well done!